University degree in Bingen

How to apply

The Central Student Advisory Office (Zentrale Studienberatung) and the Academic Advisory Office (Fachstudienberatung) of the respective degree courses are responsible for advising prospective (international) students. You can find contact persons on the pages of the respective degree courses.

Choose a degree programme or a double degree programme that corresponds to your interests, and check whether you fulfil the requirements for studying at Bingen UAS. For international applicants this usually involves having your qualifications evaluated by uni-assist. Please only apply if you are able to provide proof that you possess the necessary language skills.

If you fulfil the requirements for studying at Bingen UAS and have decided on a degree course, the next step is to apply online. Please note the respective application deadlines. In cooperation with the departments, the staff at the Registrar’s Office process and review your application, and are responsible for admissions to courses.

IMPORTANT: Preparing a university application can be a time-consuming process. Please make sure you allow enough time for this process to be concluded by the time you apply so you are able to submit all required documents (e.g. preliminary review documentation/Vorprüfungsdokumentation (VPD) issued by uni-assist, translations (if necessary), language certificates) by the application deadline.

In particular, we strongly recommend you request your VPD as early as possible so your application is not unnecessarily delayed by lengthy processing times.

Four steps to a successful application at Bingen UAS

Icon Brief
1. Have quali­fi­ca­tions evaluated by uni-assist

Once you have requested a VPD by submitting all required documents and paying the fees to uni-assist, processing and reviewing your qualifications can take up to 8 weeks.

Applications for a VPD are possible year-round, irrespective of the semester you intend to apply for, and are valid for one year from the date of issue.

IMPORTANT: Please note that applying for a VPD with uni-assist does not constitute an application to study at our university! As soon as you have been issued your VPD certificate you can apply online for your preferred study programme at Bingen UAS.

The above does NOT apply to international applicants who

  • have graduated from a German university with a Bachelor’s degree.
  • have attended a „Studienkolleg“ and passed their „Feststellungsprüfung“.

Exchange and visiting students are also exempt from this requirement and need not submit a VPD with their application. You can learn more about uni-assist’s VPD certificate and the process involved further down on the website.

2. Submit appli­cation

Apply online for your preferred degree course at Bingen Technical University of Applied Sciences by uploading all required documents.

This includes your higher education entrance qualification (translations are only necessary if the documents are not in English or French), proof of language proficiency, a full CV detailing your academic and, if applicable, professional experience (no chronological omissions) as well as proof of prior periods of study abroad (if applicable). 

3. Appli­cation processed by Registrar’s Office

Once we have received your application we check for missing documents or incomplete data and e-mail you if you need to provide additional documentation. At any time during the application process you can track the status of your application online.

When all required application documents have been reviewed and found to meet our admission requirements you will receive a letter of admission.

Icon Überweisung
4. Transfer semester fee and submit documents for enrolment

In your letter of admission you will be asked to transfer the semester fee and submit additional documents for enrolment (e.g. a birth certificate). Once we have received these, you will be enrolled at Bingen Technical University of Applied Sciences.

Academic requirements

Anyone who wishes to study at a German university needs what is called a higher education entrance qualification (HZB). With the higher education entrance qualification, applicants prove that they are entitled to study in Germany on the basis of their prior schooling.

A foreign higher education entrance qualification qualifies applicants to study at a German institution of higher education, provided that the foreign proof of education is recognised as a higher education entrance qualification in Germany.

Hand signing a paper

You can find out about the basic recognition of your higher education entrance qualification in Germany on the website of the DAAD. This information is based on the anabin database (in German only) of the Central Office for Foreign Education (ZaB).

If your foreign higher education entrance qualification is not sufficient for direct admission to a degree course in Germany, you have the option of attending a preparatory course. There, together with other students from abroad, you will acquire the academic and cultural prerequisites needed to study successfully in Germany. The preparatory courses generally end after one year with an assessment test. After successfully passing the test, graduates can study anywhere in Germany in the subjects that correspond to the subject they have attended.

In Rhineland-Palatinate, two preparatory courses prepare students for the assessment test:

What is a Vorprüfungsdokumentation (VPD)?

Whether or not your higher education entrance qualification is sufficient for direct admission to a degree course at Bingen UAS needs to be evaluated on an individual basis. To help us determine this we rely on the services provided by uni-assist. uni-assist is a not-for-profit organisation providing international student application processing and evaluation services for German universities.

Having reviewed your qualifications uni-assist will issue a so-called preliminary review documentation (Vorprüfungsdokumentation, VPD). The VPD certificate contains information on what higher education entrance qualifications you presented to uni-assist, how those are evaluated and how uni-assist rates your grade within the German system of grades.

With your VPD certificate you can then apply to any of our study programmes.

How do I apply for a Vorprüfungsdokumentation (VPD)?

  1. Get required documents (including translations) ready
  2. Register with My assist and enter your personal, contact and education data
  3. In My assist, choose your preferred semester and TH Bingen
  4. Upload documents to My assist
  5. Pay uni-assist fees

Make sure you go through uni-assist‘s checklist explaining the VPD process in more detail. 

Language requirements

With the exception of two Master’s degree programmes (Environmental Sustainability, Computer Science) courses are primarily taught in German. Before applying, please check whether your desired course of study is taught in English or German and what language skills you will have to prove.

The following can be submitted as proof of language skills: 

For degree programmes taught in German:

  • German Language University Entrance Test (DSH-1)
  • German as a foreign language test (TestDaF) with TestDaF level (TDN) 3 in all four components
  • Passing of the “German” test section of the assessment test of a “Studienkolleg” preparatory course
  • German Language Diploma from the German Standing Conference of Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs - Level DSD II (exams for pupils in German at schools outside of Germany)
  • Goethe Certificate C2: Großes Deutsches Sprachdiplom
  • Successful completion of “telc German C1 University”

For degree programmes taught in English:

  • An English language certificate that corresponds to level B2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages such as:
    1. International English Language Testing System (IELTS) with a minimum test score of 5.5
    2. Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL iBT) with a score of at least 72
    3. Test of English for International Communication (TOEIC Listening and Reading) with a score of at least 785
    4. Cambridge Certificate
  • A German higher education entrance qualification, provided it shows a language level of at least B2 according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
  • A higher education entrance qualification obtained in Great Britain, Ireland, New Zealand, Australia, the USA or in an English-speaking province of Canada if the language of instruction was predominantly English.
  • Higher education entrance qualification certificates proving at least 5 years of English language lessons until graduation with at least (the equivalent of German) grade 4 (sufficient).
Flags of different countries

Please note the following important information:

We regret that we are unable to accept certificates and verifications other than those listed above as proof of language proficiency for studying at Bingen UAS. Bingen UAS does not offer DSH preparation courses or exams for applicants.

Eager to learn more about language requirements and examinations? Head over to the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) and Study in Germany. 

Questions? Do not hesitate to contact us.


Building 5, Room 321

T.+49 6721 409 500
E. Write an email